Meeting in Review: September 21, 2016
Posted by Lara Bersano Calot on Sep 25, 2016
President Ross opened the meeting at 12:32, led in a pledge of allegiance to our flag.
Jill Kent Led the inspiration reading a poem about “Endurance” in life.
Deputy Secretary Lara Bersano Calot welcomed visiting Rotarians and guests:
Sue Birge, Floyd Rice Guests of Ross Grantham and John Eason
Kerry-Ann Powell, Guest of Rynthia Ross
Ann Sarkes, Haven Houston, Guest of Abe
Marie Drissel, Guest of May O’Brien
Natalie Thomure, Guest of Jennifer Hara
Dan Bonnette, Valerie Colimon, Guest of Mary Goldsmith
John Eason - Chief of Police of Wachula and speaking about Freedom Flights
Terry McCormick – return visitor
Zgjim Jusufi, Rotary Club Prishtina Dardania
Dr. Ageline Low
Hunting Davis, Guest of Sheldon Ray
Sergeant-at-Arms Marilyn Cruz recognized Rotarians celebrating birthdays this week:
- Pat Kavanaugh - September 22 Pat joined Rotary in January 1984. He was sponsored by Paul Lenz and his classification is Law: General Practice. Pat is a Past President of our club, 2003-2004.
- Irene Koerner - September 23 Irene joined Rotary in May 2004. She was sponsored by Geri Hansen and her classification is Government Service: Regulatory Compliance.
- Jay Pugh - September 24 Jay joined Rotary in December 1972. He was sponsored by Robert McBrier and his classification is Department Stores. Jay is a Past President of our club, 1984-1985.
- Robert Meins - September 25 Robert joined our club in November 2015. He was sponsored by Sam Hancock and his classification is Economics: Development.
- Greg Scarlatoiu - September 19, 2011 (5 years)
- Octavian Ionici - September 22, 2005 (11 years)
Rotary Freedom Flight - David Treadwell introduce Chief Police John Eason from Wauchula Police Dept who spoke about the Freedom Flight Project.
New Member Talk was given by Julie Duriga. She spoke about her life back in North Carolina and how she and her husband moved to DC.
David Treadwell introduced speaker Chairman Jack Evans who is Chairman of the Council
- The speaker spoke about the WMATA situation with special emphasis in the “Safe Track” works been developed at the moment and the investments that need to be made by the three states (MD, DC and VA) in the next decade.
Raffle: Alicia won the small pot and did not win the large pot.
He thanked Cherry for conducting today’s Raffle, Balraj, Ken and Stu for staffing the Hospitality Desk, Dennis for serving as Greeters, and Lara for writing today’s Meeting in Review.
The meeting adjourned at 1.36 pm